Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Will have a lot of nice stuff for my new place! :-)

Without knowing it, my housekeeper is helping me get a lot of stuff for when I move to New Orleans. (I haven't told her I'm moving yet. She'll be crushed. I'm good to work for... :-)) I have some curtains, two new mattresses, some pretty pillows, and I'll probably have a new microwave soon.

I'm thinking about what I want to take with me and what I can live without. I can take three carry-ons and three checked bags on Amtrak, according to Anne (who takes the train everywhere, so she should know... *g*) Of course, my bed, desk, and other pieces will be too big to take on the train, so I'll have to rent a U-Haul and drive back to Dallas to pick them up.

I still haven't told my family I'm moving. I've sort of decided to just slip away into the night and maybe call them from N.O. (just to avoid having them try and talk me out of doing this crazy thing. lol My brother Pat, especially, is a little bit overprotective, so he'll raise the biggest fuss over it.)

I'm also trying to get on SSDI so I can have some more money. I'm supposed to be getting food stamps sometime soon (hope it's more than ten fucking dollars a month, which is how much they wanted to give me last time I applied... but then, I didn't have a lot of bills to pay back then, either.) Those two things should help me.

Well, need to go look at my stuff some more. Will update as I find out more about where I'll be. Anne's going to see Styx in New Orleans next month, and will do some house-hounting as well. She said she'll take some pix and send them to me. I can't wait! I'd like to see how they've done with rebuilding the city. I hope they've at least been able to partly restore any of the old homes and businesses that have been there for like a couple of centuries.

1 comment:

  1. Since I'll be moving there in May/June, need to get out my summer clothes and pack up my winter gear for storage. Also need a couple more suitcases...

    ReplyDelete